Disgraça DIY Center in Lisbon Needs Our Support!
Let's help Disgraça! Lisbon's unique space for DIY and radical culture
Disgraça is a recently formed collective from Lisbon born out of necessity to establish a physical space for the DIY and radical culture in Portugal. Let’s show some solidarity by donating to their crowdfunding campaign.
Disgraça upholds strong antiauthoritarian principles and will provide space for a wide range of activities within the radical and do-it-yourself circles in Lisbon, recently an old anarchist library joined forces with them and they are moving in into the space as well. Since finding the space where the DIY community center will be located the collective has been gathering funds via benefit events, so they already have enough financial resources for the first rents and expenses. Although they still need a bunch of money for other kind of works that will take place in the space.
The collective will have a presentation about the space and their activities at Fluff Fest‘s info tent.
Here’s a list of some specific applications to be funded by the crowdfunding campaign.
- General construction works and maintenance on the different levels of the warehouse (much needed!)
- Creation of a total soundproof atmosphere in the basement level (concert room). Our beautiful noise should be respectful towards its surroundings and thus create a healthy relationship with the neighborhood
- Equipping the room with a proper PA system, so bands can enjoy playing without trouble
- Build a studio/rehearsal room to provide an affordable alternative for local bands to practice and record their music
- Design a comfortable “guest room”, so touring bands can stay over after their shows and enjoy a good night of sleep
- Create and equip a community vegan canteen to serve meals and drinks during the shows and several times a week, offering a cheap and healthy alternative to a city in need of vegan options
- Establish a library room with alternative and radical literature, freely available for everybody
- Set up a wellness center to host activities such as yoga, kung-fu and fitness
- Buy tools and make a room for different kinds of workshops and talks that promote the DIY culture
We are bored.
We are fed up with the cyclical and tedious search for a space for free expression. A space free from the expectations of the “cooltural” managers who remain mired in methods that are rooted in fear of dissonance and human distortion. A space free from the economic pressures of the cultural professionals. Free from those for whom free or inexpensive creativity does not seem a valid idea and instead want to tax it, modify it, limit it and profit from it, at all costs. There will always be a missing license, a made up law, a false complaint, or anything else they think of, in order to prevent and complicate something as simple as 3 chords.
We do not want to be castrated or sterilized.
We want to motivate and be motivated.
We want an open space, a laboratory for individual expression, where anyone can realise their projects and ideas – spontaneously and unconditionally. A space that stimulates the DIY spirit and self-production.
We want a space where music can find its shortest path between the performers and the audience.
We want to provide tools for individual and collective emancipation through a space for body, mind, and skills; as well as to channel frustration and anger.
We will not be overwhelmed or undermined by those who clearly do not want certain ideas to spread, certain events to be held, or certain truths to be screamed.
So we’ve created a collective to self-manage a rented space in the center of Lisbon. A concert hall, a recording studio, an infoshop, a space for physical activity, screen printing, various workshops, or anything that the imagination and opportunities allow. A place to build, destroy and rebuild.
For this idea to become reality, we have planned a series of benefit events that will contribute to the initial expenses related to the opening of such a space.
Until then.. (if not before).
disgraca -at- riseup.net
nobordersdiybooking -at- gmail.com