Touring bands footprint, etc.

Building a Community for the Global Underground DIY Network.
Mittens XVX
Gender Pronouns: He/Him

Touring bands footprint, etc.

Postby Mittens XVX Mon May 28, 2018 3:25 pm

As someone booking shows I've started thinking about some ideas on how to ask bands to be more responsible in their lifestyle choices and personal impact when being on tour...

What do you think are some ways for bands to have a smaller footprint and be more conscious as not to create a lot of waste? I know if we talk about gas it's a huge one, but I think more about little things such as carrying their own fork/spoon and cups, so the promoter shouldn't buy plastic when cooking food for 15 people (when there are just 3 bands on the bill). Also having their own containers to store the leftovers.

Do you have any other ideas? Probably I should write an article about it.
gizmedium

Re: Touring bands footprint, etc.

Postby gizmedium Mon May 28, 2018 3:46 pm

It's a very interesting subject to kick off this message board with! I think there's generally a divide first between people who are conscious of this waste in their lives when "not on tour" but also it depends on the lengh of your tour. As it starts to get longer, it becomes more like your every day life and less like a vacation in which you drive a lot. I generally carry fork/waterbottle/and a small plastic jar of spices everyday in my bag. To me it just makes sense and doesn't really feel like extra weight anymore.

On tour, or travelling any other way, having your own container to store the leftover makes sense as it means less waste, like you said but also that you're saving on having to buy the next meal, so it’s a win-win. Generally there’s the problem of storage to keep in mind as not every van can actualy have cooler and cooked food doesn’t really last more than a day. A good idea is to carry around camping gear and some dry food like semola as well as canned beans and to either cook before taking off in the morning or to have a portable stove. It’s generally the same idea as preparing for when going to festivals, or for having an extra day off at the last minute, though having the habit to do that for the entire lengh of your tour could actualy save you by making your tour so much cheaper, or actualy enjoy the few times you’ll inevitably eat out!
itsjustthesameold
Gender Pronouns: they/them

Postby itsjustthesameold Tue May 29, 2018 5:45 am

a band that presses vinyl can’t really be too concerned with the environment if they don’t want to be hypocritical, also vans burn gas like crazy, ideally each member could afford a prius and just be content to tour in it
Mittens XVX

Postby Mittens XVX Tue May 29, 2018 9:23 am

What do you mean by each member having their own Prius? I think, that even if the van burns a lot, it's still affordable when you have 9 people packed in the same car.

Ideally, the bands can save on gear traveling in a smaller car, but this will be a great pain in the ass for the promoters who usually don't own their own backline. I also prefer booking bands that bring full backline with them. Borrowing drums and backline on a working day can be a big lose of money, time, and energy. Yes, it's not that hard to borrow from friends in bands who have backline in their rehearsal rooms, but don't feel very comfortable asking for that. Especially, when you have to take one thing from a band, other thing from another band, and something else from a third band. On some instances have had to rent almost anything (when there's no local band playing) and it was fricking expensive. Also, some bands prefer to play with their own backline no matter what.

There are also examples like the CrimethInc. band From The Depths who used to tour in a van that was running on used vegetable oil from restaurants... and the vehicle died in the middle of the tour. It's great to see people think about these things, thank you! But I still prefer to focus on smaller and more realistic changes that could be communicated with bands when booking the shows before their tour, like the ones about the food.
notdari

Postby notdari Tue May 29, 2018 9:42 am

Just because we do some things that aren't eco-friendly doesn't mean trying to reduce our impact in other ways is hypocritical. If anything it should motivate us to try even harder. Little things like carrying your own containers and bottles, package free soap bars and using non-disposable razors can save a ton of plastic waste. When you start getting conscious about these things, you start to notice it in all sorts of different places. We just need to be more creative and responsible about dealing with it.
gizmedium

Postby gizmedium Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:21 am

It's interesting for Mittens to bring up the crimethinc band. Crimethinc, along with many others did publish many DIY tips & tricks zines though that one with the oil is a bit too "north amerikan" to work out, as even if there are a lot of them, there's not enough fast foods, and for what I can figure where I live, no one really seem to store used cooking oil in separate containers (as they do for mechanic oil in autoshops for example). Would anyone else be interested in making a call for submissions for a collective zine on this topic?
Mittens XVX

Postby Mittens XVX Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:40 am

Something else, that hasn't been brought up yet is that bands can print their merch on second hand shirts. Czech bands like Remek and Gattaca do this for a long time and it's very cool. Every shirt is completely unique and you just dig into the pile to find the fabric, size, colour and preference that suits you best. :)

Return to “DIY Community: General discussion”